Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Great Discovery

At first, I did not like blogging because I am bad at using a computer, and the blog post was just homework to do. However, this blog post got more interesting and valuable for me to learn my classmates' cultures and also my own culture too. Knowing and understanding a different culture is not that easy because we have already had a prejudice or stereotyped images toward one's culture. Also, we do not have many opportunities to communicate with foreigners to know a foreign culture. Nevertheless, our ESL teacher, Mr. Lawson and our classmates provided a great opportunity to share each own cultures. Through the blog spot, I could learn not only foreign cultures but also my own culture. To make a blog post, I researched honorable things about my culture. As my classmates added a comment to my blog, I have been surprised and happy because the thing that I thought as normal was incredible to my classmates. As I introduced many interesting things about my culture, I could be proud of being the one who could tell the world how wonderful my country is. Also, by reading my classmates’ blogs, I learned many differences and also similarities between their cultures and my culture. Especially, it became a big surprise when I learned that my culture and my classmates’ cultures share many commons because it is authentic to know people who speak a different language and live so differently have similar holidays or food. As one can see, knowing foreign cultures and understanding each others can let us show respect to the others, and also we can see how we are one of the citizens in the small planet, the earth. We still have prejudice or discrimination toward people who are different from us, but understanding each own cultures can be a help to solve these problems because we can see how similar we are. Therefore, teachers should let students do this blog post as Mr. Lawson did. The blog post can be a great writing activity, and also a great discovery all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment