Friday, March 27, 2009

Culture- The Interesting Thing for Me

One of the interseting things when living in America is I can contact with diverse cultures in the world. People who live here come from different countries such as Korea, Iraq, Japan, Vietnam, Russia, ...
As first, I am very amazed by the way people greet, the clothes they wear are very different from my culture. For example, in America the greeting that is typical is people simply say "Hello! or Hi!" It sound friendly and easy for everyone. I like and try to do that, but I still have my old habit Which is "nodding" for greeting. In addition, the way to dress here is very free. People often wear clothes that they like and feel good for going to work or to school. Another thing in eating, the people here use forks and knives while Asian usually use the "chopsticks" that is very interesting for me. Otherwise, I am not familiar with the way the Americans greet when they meet. They usaully give each other a big hug to show the friendliness. However, I am surprised at someone who wears "white head band" to go to school or play the sports. It means nothing, but in Vietnam that is bad symbol: be in mourning for someone died in the family. In general, there are some symbols and gesture have the same meaning. For example, nodding their head means agee, waving their hands means good-bye. I like to live or work with different people in the world in order to understand their culture and get closer to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment