Sunday, May 10, 2009

Blogging rules!!!

The blog that my classmates and I did is about our cultures, and I think it is just an amazing experience. Just reading about difference between cultures makes persons wonder and maybe even explore more about these cultures. I see this type of writing as a pure fun, where person can learn something very interesting and at the same time something different from his or her own culture. In addition, I don’t consider blogging like a rest of the school work. I consider it is an interaction with the other cultures, my friends’ cultures. Through reading the blog I am getting a feeling that I know my classmates for a long time.

Also, by learning about their different cultures I started to understand their behaviors, opinions, and reaction on the different things. For example, for some people from the ESL class it is just normal not greeting a professor’s entrance into a classroom. For me, however, it was cultural shock because I am used to stand up and greet professors when they are entering a classroom.

Moreover, the importance of the blog is that the cultural things that my peers and I posted are not common in every day conversation. It is deeper, and I would say more personal because a culture is a part of persons’ identity. For example, Gulzhan’s name means “soulflower”, but if I just talked to her I don’t think we would touch that topic, and I would not know such an interesting detail from her life.

The blogging is definitely one of the activities I like the most in my ESL class. It is too bad that more professors don’t do the same activity in their classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment