Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Elephant !!!


Elephant is the national symbol of Thailand in both power and peace, and we have a lot of them in my country. They are very friendly and strong. In the ancient time, Thai people rode on the back of elephants to fight in the war, just like the Western people use horses in the battlefield. Nowadays, Thai people use elephants for transportation, and they also train elephants for the performance such as they train them to play soccer, paint, entertain, dance and so on. They also use them to carry a log in the forest. Many tourists like to come see elephants's performance in Thailand. The number of elephants in Thailand today is approximately about 2,600. If you come to Thailand, you may see elephants walk along the side of the street with a person who control elephants (mahout) on their back. Most tourists like to ride on elephants back with mahout in the forest

PS. White elephants is a symbol of royal power in Thailand, and it is very rare. Usually, white elephants are held by the king of Thailand.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE elephants!
    They just bring me peace in my mind. It's sad thing that some people are hunting elephant for getting ivories.
    Also, I love the song that is written by Damien Rice, Elephant. Maybe you would like that song too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of that song before. Is the guy that sing this song is American? I love elephants too, but sometimes Thai people tend to use them for their own purpose which I really hate. Some mahouts (people who train elephant) ride on elephant and go around the city to ask people to buy bananas and feed the elephants. They use elephants to make money. My family do not support this type of mahout. Therefore, when they come to my house, my mom always bring bananas that we have in the house and feed the elephants without buying from mahouts.

    ReplyDelete