Thursday, April 9, 2009

Yes Man

I'd like to share my friend's funny story with all of you.
My friend, who is an American, has stayed in Tokyo, Japan for a few months for studying. One day, her friend called her to have a lunch together, so she went to the station to take a train and looked for the ticket machine. Unfortunately, the Tokyo station is so large like a mall that even I can lose my way easily. Of course, she also got lost there. Because she's not good at speaking in Japanese, so she was at a loss. Fortunately, she found a smart-looking-guy came close to her. The guy wore a neat suit and glasses which looked expensive, and he smiled gently when his eyes met her gaze. She thought the guy must be able to use English, so she asked hime, "Excuse me, is this the right way to the wicket?" He answered confidently, "Yes, yes!" so she stepped the way without any doubt. However, she got the end of the street. There were nothing but bathroom! She was so confused and asked herself, "Why there are bathroom instead of ticket machine?" As the result, a guard talked to and helped her, so she finally could meet her friends 5 minutes after their appointment.
In Japan, we tend to think it is ashamed to tell someone that we can't do what others can do such as using English. Because of that, we sometimes pretend that we can use English even if we can't. In addition, we tend to say, "YES!" when we can't understand what we are asked. Therefore, I can easily guess that guy couldn't understand what she said, so he just answered "yes." It is not so unusual in Japan, so I just can say, "Don't believe Japanese' YES when we answer confidently and without saying anything after YES!"

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Cherry. Japanese tend to say "yes" or "yha" without fully understanding what people who speak English say when they are asked. Anyway, I really like this story!!

    ReplyDelete