Saturday, April 4, 2009

Kazakh names

My name is Gulzhan, and I am from Kazakhstan.  It is the ninthlargest county in the world.  The birth of a child is the biggest event in a Kazakh family.  Therefore, Kazakhs have chosen  the name of a newborn child very seriously. Traditionaly, it is the privilege of a grandfather or another respectable person since the child will grow up as good as this person.  Sometimes, Kazkaks ask a guest to give a name to their child. Now, parents try to choose for their children the most beautiful, tender, and easy to pronounce names.  For example, they often have used the name of expensive fabric, such as Zhibek (silk), delicate plant, such as Raushan (rose); precious metals and stones, such as Altyn (gold), Kumis (silver), Gauhar (emerald). Also, Arabic names are very popular in Kazakhstan because a lot of Kazakhs are Muslims.  The names Tanirbergen, Kudibergen and Allabergen all mean "given by god".  Often, wishing a rich and successful life to their children, parents give them names like Kyaidar (owner).  If parents want to a boy to be strong, they give him a name of animals or birds, such as Burkit (eagle), Kyran (falkon).  My name was given by my father.  My name means "soulflower."

1 comment:

  1. I find Gulzhan's post very interesting and very well written. Right away this post attracted me. The post is very educational and interesting for me only because hers culture is very different from Serbian culture for giving names. Probably the most exciting thing about this post is the logic behind the names. For example, if people give names of precious metals to children that mean that they are going to be rich. Also, I find it fascinating that names like Tanirbergen, Kudibergen and Allabergen are popular and all mean "given by god". This can also show us that Kazakh people are very religious people. In addition, I have to say that name that her dad picked for her is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete