Thursday, April 23, 2009

my identity...


So as you all may have guessed, i am a Mexican born in America. The whole topic for this blog is about culture, yet i find it difficult to identify myself. In any type of paper work I am latina, hispanic, mexican, or other, yet people look at me and jump the gun and say i'm Mexican, that i dont speak any english, that i am illegal. During these past few years we have had many walk outs, many protests for an amnisty for imagrents. I was not able to decide what side i wanted to support, and going to school seeing all these white americans carrying the flag as if they thought that they owned the country. walking around the school i heard so many racist comments being said to me and my hispanic peers. the comment that made me reflect the most was, "Go back to your country!" and to this day i still think about it, i look at my brown skin, and my long black hair, i see a mexican, i go out and live my life and talk to my friends, i am american. I was born here in the United States, this is my country, this is my native land, this should be my colture. I too celebrate the 4th of july, as my family celebrates 16 of september. I too celebrate christmas with the Santa clause, as well as celebrating noche buena. I am divided between two different worlds, i am a mexican and i am american. I get the best of both worlds, so you could say, and i enjoy having both coltures.

1 comment:

  1. By being a Mexican American people do get the best of both world and enjoy both cultures. being a Mexican American can also be very hard, people in America don't consider you an American but if you go to Mexico you are not seeing as a Mexican either. so where does Mexican American people belong to? if any one has an answer let me know.

    ReplyDelete